Moon Area Band Parent Organization Meeting
September 17, 2015
Submitted by Laura A Wall, Secretary, MABPO
The meeting was called to order at 7:08 PM. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
The minutes from the August 2015 meeting have been posted. Motion to accept the minutes was made by Yvonne Dodrill and seconded by Cindy Stathers.
Treasurer’s Report, Joe DeNardo
The Treasurer’s Report was submitted by Joe DeNardo. Motion to accept the Treasurer’s report was made by Denise Tessmer and seconded by Jamie Zelazny.
President’s Comments, Sherri VonStein
- Thank you to Clearview Federal Credit Union and Christianne Gribben for providing layout services for the program. Depending on when the programs are finished at the printer, Mrs. Von Stein will offer pre-sale programs (possibly this coming Thursday). An email will be sent if advance sales of programs will be available. Thank you also to Wayne Gregory (alumni band parent) who is designing signage for the visiting bands. Wayne also designed the cover for the program.
- As a reminder, students and parent volunteers are asked to use the entire parking lot (between the stadium and the baseball field house) including parking spaces up to the tennis courts.
PIMBA Committee reports
· Parking – Ron Cross – We are in need of more volunteers. A meeting of the committee will be held soon. Date & time are yet to be determined. Setup for parking will start at 10am on Sat, Sept 26.
· Band Stand – Jen Daugherty – We are in need of more volunteers. Easy jobs are left. The Band Stand will close to allow volunteers to see Moon perform. It will reopen after the performance for a short time.
· Bake Sale – Georganna Palmer – We have enough help. An email will be sent out this week to the bakers who have volunteered. · Judges Hospitality – Grace Cap – We have enough adults. This committee will share 2 student helpers with Jen at the Band Stand (concessions).
· Guest Band Hosts – Jamie Zelazny – The committee had a meeting. We need to make sure that there is enough toilet paper in the MS restrooms. Mr. Baker is supposed to move the trailers that are blocking part of the warm-up area at the MS. Mr. Hickey is supposed to move the PODS that are blocking another area to be utilized during the PIMBA show.
· Tickets – Nancy Kerr – We have enough people. The stampers for admission have been obtained. We need to get tickets & buckets for the 50/50.
· Hospitality – Denise Wolf – We have enough volunteers.
· Candygrams – Vikki Tuk – Vikki has enough helpers. She is going to distribute a candygram pre-order form soon.
· Alumni Committee – Cindy Bartus – Some members of the newly formed alumni group will be feeding the Moon Band before they perform at our PIMBA show.
Senior Recognition Night (Oct 30) – Part of the work for this has been done. A photographer and art work have been arranged. All that is needed is for someone to step up to chair this event. We will also be in need of setup/cleanup help.
Parent Apparel – See Jean Stewart if you haven’t already received your order.
Decals – Decals are on back order. There was a problem with the original order. The order had to be cancelled and reordered with another vendor.
Calendar of Events
Please see calendar on website for a complete and current listing of important events.
Highlights for the week of Sept 21: Fri, Sept 25 – Football @ Central Valley; Sat, Sept 26 – Moon PIMBA @ Tiger Stadium
Concessions, Jen Daugherty
We are working on schedules to have food ready for the PIMBA show.
Secretary, Laura Wall
Nothing to report.
Treasurer, Joe DeNardo
Please see report from earlier in agenda. Specific inquiries regarding your child’s account should be directed to Treasurer@moonband.org.
Communications, Nancy Kerr
Nothing to report.
Fundraising, Cindy Diehl
- First fundraiser pick-up was today. 45 students participated.
- The Chestnut Hill candle sale is going on now. Deadline for orders is Sept. 24 (Thurs). Delivery of candles is scheduled for Oct. 15.
- The second hoagie sale will be starting soon. The delivery date published online may change so please watch for a date change in an email or newsletter.
Publicity, Grace Cap
The PIMBA flyer is online. Please print and post to promote PIMBA. Mr. Barthen will be on KDKA radio with Rob Pratte, Saturday @ 6:30am to promote PIMBA on the radio.
VP Corporate Partnership, Jared Tuk
Mr. Tuk explained that he is charged with going out to businesses to solicit monetary or “in kind” donations to be used to enhance/supplement funds provided by MASD and the MABPO. A brochure and packet detailing the different levels of support has been distributed to some of the area’s large businesses. More will be distributed in the near future. So far, we have seen a positive response. If you know of a business/corporation that may be interested, please contact Jared Tuk.
Band Director’s Comments, Mr. Nick Barthen
- Coming up – PIMBA/BOA – BOA itinerary will be handed out tonight. The band is scheduled to perform at 11am. Some of the best bands in the country will be there. Two of the participants are previous Grand National Champions.
- PIMBA report time for Sept. 26 is 1pm. We will watch the other bands, warm up, and then perform last. It is customary for the host band to perform last.
- Homecoming – Oct 10 – It is a 2pm game. A complete itinerary will be distributed at a later date.
- Penn-Trafford PIMBA – Oct 17 – We have a later performance time. A report time and full itinerary will be communicated at a later date. PIMBA Championships (Gateway HS) – Oct 24 – Performance time will not be known until after the P-T show.
Strings Director Comments, Ms. Megan Taylor
A discussion was held this evening at the Executive Board meeting regarding the General Fund and Student Accounts. The discussion was held regarding the amount of money that is needed to provide financial support to the band. Previously, fundraisers designated for Student Accounts, were split 15% to the General Fund and 85% to Student Accounts; Aramark (PNC Park & Heinz Field) fundraising split has varied from 1-5% to the General Fund and 95-99% to Student Accounts. Going forward, regardless of Student Account fundraising activity, the split will be 20% to the General Fund and 80% to Student Accounts. This will help to maintain a healthy balance in the General Fund allowing us to provide the financial support needed to our band.
Next meeting is scheduled for October 15, 2015 @ 7PM. Meeting is preceded by a closed Executive Board meeting @ 6PM. With no further comments or questions, a motion to adjourn was made by Joseph Denardo and seconded by Cindy Diehl.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.