Moon Area High School Marching Band is a state-of-the-art competitive marching band. Each year the band explores the latest trends in competitive marching band. Marching Band at Moon Area is a co-curricular activity offered for band students participating in Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and Percussion Ensemble. The marching band also serves as an outlet for students interested in the realm of state-of-the-art design, performance, social, and competitive opportunities.
The marching band performs at all varsity football games. The group also performs at competitive contests and festivals; approximately 5 contests per season. The marching band also performs various community support appearances based on need and accessibility.
3 days, meeting from 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. after school during the month of May.
Approximately 12 hours of rehearsal during June and July.
Home Band Camp
Begins the last week of July and is held at Moon Area High School. All students are required to attend.
Away Band Camp
Held during the first week of August and is held at Washington and Jefferson College. Students stay on campus the entire week. All students are required to attend.
School Day Rehearsals
6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. rehearsal Monday (AUX and PERC), Tuesday (WINDS), Thursday FULL).
Additional rehearsals devoted to just the students of a particular section (i.e. Percussion, Guard, Saxophones, etc.).
Typically one or two Saturday rehearsals in the months of September and October.
Please refer to the Music Department Calendar for scheduled performances.
- Nick Barthen – Director of Bands
- Abby Finkelstein - Assistant Director
- Alan Fear – Associate Director/Director of Percussion
- Jenn Minamyer – Color Guard Director
- Rob Traugh – Outdoor Program Coordinator/Wind Arranger
- Thomas Sparling – Outdoor Visual Designer
- Evan Brown – Outdoor Electronics Designer
- Nine time Walt Disney World Magic Music Days Participant
- WPXI/MACY’S Celebrate the Seasons Parade
- Kennywood Park Fall Fantasy Parade - Annually
- 2019 Bands of America/Music for All Central Ohio Regional Finalist
- 2018 Bands of America/Music for All Northeastern Regional Finalist
- 2017 Bands of America/Music for All Northeastern Regional Class 2A Champion
- 2017 Bands of America/Music for All Northeastern Regional 4th Place Finalist
- 2016 Bands of America/Music for All Eastern Regional Class 2A Champion
- 2016 Bands of America/Music for All Eastern Regional Finalist Runner-Up
- 2013, 2015 Bands of America/Music For All Eastern Regional Participant
- 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2016 Pennsylvania Interscholastic Marching Band Association 4A Runner-up
- 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Pennsylvania Interscholastic Marching Ban Association 4A Third Place
- 2010, 2011 Pennsylvania Interscholastic Marching Band Association 4A Champions