IMPORTANT REMINDERS – MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
Friday, April 27 – Banquet RSVP
Monday, May 7 - Small Ensemble Concert
Thursday, May 10 – Honors Night – Honors Orchestra Performs
Friday, May 11 – MAHS Jazz Ensemble Concert 7PM
Monday, May 14 - Concert & Symphonic Bands Concert
Thursday, May 17 – Instrumental Parents Meeting 7PM
Sunday, May 20 - Instrumental Music Banquet
Wednesday, May 23 - Spring Instrumental Music Concert 7PM
Friday, June 8 – MAHS Graduation – All Instrumentalists perform
INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC BANQUET
The Banquet invitations have been mailed to all Instrumental Music students' homes.
Please RSVP by THIS FRIDAY - APRIL 27TH. If you have any questions, contact Laura at email@example.com
THANK YOU to all of the students and parents who worked to make our annual spaghetti dinner run smoothly. We greatly appreciate our band and orchestra families who volunteered their time at the dinner, baked the delicious desserts, donated food, supplies, or a monetary gift, and who sold tickets to friends, family, and neighbors. We are also thankful for the students who worked shifts at the dinner and for the students who performed in the small ensembles. It is the combined efforts of staff, students, and parents that make events like this successful. THANK YOU!
Our FINAL fundraiser of the school year is a J&J Enterprises Hoagie and Pepperoni Roll sale. This is an excellent opportunity to raise funds for student accounts to offset some of the cost of band camp or other events in the coming year. Order forms and payments are due on Thursday, May 3, and the delivery date is Wednesday, May 16. Information sheets and order forms can be found HERE or in the band room. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
HEINZ FIELD/PNC PARK
If you are interested in working Concessions at PNC Park to raise money for your Band student, please contact Heather Park at email@example.com. The next Training Session at PNC Park will be on Tuesday, May 1st at 5:00. Please let me know if you would like to sign up for this. This is a great time to build up your students' accounts before Band Camp and in anticipation of future expenses. PNC Park offers a wider variety of days and times to work, so it better fits many parents' schedules. Please consider joining us!
The MABPO is selling large red & white paneled golf umbrellas with “Moon Area” and the tiger logo printed on one panel. Umbrellas are $15.00 each. If you’d like to buy an umbrella, please contact Sherri directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAY PARENT MEETING
Please mark your calendar for May 17th. We will be *voting on future MABPO Membership.
(*must be a member in good standing to be eligible to vote).
Thank you to those parents who attended the April 12th Parent Meeting. Our annual election for Executive Board Officers took place. The newly elected board will begin their role on July 1st.
Please congratulate your 2018/2019 Officers:
President - Andrea Ward
Treasurer - Vicki Hricz
Secretary - Shea Corsetti
VP of Communications - Sarah Schmitz
Co-VP of Concessions - Ginny Kotok
Co-VP of Concessions - Karren Wood
VP of Corporate Partnership - Mike Connors
VP of Fundraising - Georganna Palmer
VP of Publicity - Grace Cap
Please stay informed and keep up to date with your organization. As always, monthly Meeting Minutes are posted on www.moonband.org
All student accounts are current with the proceeds from the second Sarris, second Newme pie, Chocolate Boutique, and Pittsburgh Popcorn fundraisers.
Don’t forget to order your Scrip gift cards for your favorite graduates!!
Low denomination gift cards are available from several retailers for a limited time. Click here for the list.
This will be the last order for the school year. Orders are due Friday, May 11, 2018 for delivery at the Band Parent meeting on Thursday, May 17, 2018.
Click here for "What is Scrip?".
Click here for the order form.
Click here for 2017-2018 Scrip gift card sale schedule.
Any questions contact Cindy Bartus at email@example.com
HUGE THANK YOU to Maria Sacherich who will be job shadowing band uniforms this season! We are so happy to have her! Thanks Maria!!!
BAND DIRECTOR’S COMMENTS: Mr. Nick Barthen
Upcoming Concerts and Concert Rehearsals
With the end of the school year comes concerts and rehearsals. Please make sure to keep up to date on all rehearsals, concerts, and band events. The May 2018 calendar is available on-line and on Skyward.
Memorial Day Parade – 5/28/18
The MAHS Marching Band will be performing in the Sewickley Memorial Day parade on Monday, May 28. Student report time is 8AM. We will return back to school by 12pm. This is a graded event.
Spring Concert Rehearsals
Concert Band and Percussionists who perform with Concert Band
- Wednesday, May 2 - 6PM-8:30PM - MAHS Band Room
- Wednesday, May 9 - 2:30 - 4PM - MAHS Band Room
Symphonic Band and Percussionists who perform with Symphonic Band
- Wednesday, April 25 - 6:30 - 9:00PM - MAHS Band Room
- Wednesday, May 2 - 2:30 - 4:30PM - MAHS Band Room
- Thursday, May 10 – 2:30 – 4:30PM - MAHS Band Room – This is a change due to MAHS Honors Night
Private Instrumental Lessons
Private Instrumental lessons is a great way to excel on your instrument. Not only will you learn specific techniques on your instrument, from a teacher who is an expert on your instrument, but also it will open doors to new repertoire, solo, ensemble, etc. Private lessons will also provide confidence when performing in an ensemble or auditioning for any PMEA festival. Contact Mr. Barthen for a complete list of private instructors in the area.
Calendar of Events - April – May
Tue. April 24 - Jazz Band 1 Rehearsal - 2:30 - 4pm
Wed. April 25 - Symphonic Band Rehearsal - 6:30 - 9PM
Thu. April 26 - Jazz Band 2 Rehearsal - 2:30 - 4pm
Fri. April 27 - Masterclass with Dr. Weller - During school day. - Symphonic Band excused period 2 only.
Tue. May 1 – Jazz Band 1 Rehearsal
Wed. May 2 – Full Symphonic Band Rehearsal – 2:30-4:30pm – MAHS Band Room
Full Concert Band Rehearsal – 6-8:30pm – MAHS Band Room
Thu. May 3 – Jazz Band 2 Rehearsal – 2:30 – 4pm
May 4 – MAHS Prom.
Sat. May 5 – Pittsburgh Creators Project – Symphonic Winds Concert – 7:30PM – MAHS Auditorium - $7.50/adults; $5/students/Sr.Citizens
Mon. May 7 – Percussion Ensemble Concert – 7pm
Tue. May 8 – Jazz Band 1 Rehearsal – 2:30 – 3:15pm
Jazz Band 2 Rehearsal – 3:15 – 4:00pm
Wed. May 9 Full Concert Band Rehearsal – 2:30 – 4pm
Thu. May 10 – Full Symphonic Band Rehearsal – 2:30 – 4:30pm
Fri. May 11 – Jazz Band 1 & 2 Sound check – 2:30 – 4pm
Jazz Ensemble Concert – 7PM
May 7 - Small Ensemble Concert - 7pm (Percussion Ensembles & MAHS Choral Jazz Group)
May 11 – MAHS Jazz Ensemble Concert – 7pm - Jazz Band 1 & 2 – with special guest Ralph Lalama
May 14 - Band Concerts - 7pm - Concert & Symphonic Bands
May 20 - Instrumental Music Banquet
May 28 - Memorial Day Parade - Sewickley only AM
June 8 - MAHS Graduation - All Instrumentalists perform
ORCHESTRA COMMENTS: Mrs. Martz
- April 26th, 2018 Jim Rodgers will be in the Honors Orchestra class to rehearse the Vivaldi Concerto in A minor. All students need to have the 3 movements prepared for this rehearsal. The Honors Orchestra will be performing the Vivaldi Bassoon Concerto in A minor for our Spring Concert with Jim Rodgers, Principal Bassoonist, of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Mr. Rodgers will be working with students over the next month in class and during after school rehearsals.
- April 27th music faculty from Messiah College will be at Moon Area High School to do masterclasses with both orchestra classes. They will be working with students on their concert repertoire and providing feedback for improvement as well as speaking about Messiah College.
- OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL – Mr. Ledbetter has asked if students would like to perform the Star Spangled Banner for the Baseball Senior Night, 3:30 PM on May 3rd. Any student who would like to take part in this performance opportunity needs to see Mrs. Martz by Friday April 27th.
- MAHS Honors Night will be held the evening of May 10th, 2018 in the HS Auditorium. All Honors Orchestra students will be performing before the event from 6:30PM – 7:00PM. Performance attire will be Men: dress pants, dress shoes, collared shirt and tie Ladies: dresses, skirts, dress pants, dress shoes or sandals. No jeans, tennis shoes or flip flops (nice sandals are permitted). This performance is mandatory and graded for all Honors Orchestra members.
- Spring Concert is on May 23rd, 2018 at 7:00 PM. This is a MANDATORY performanceand will be graded for ALL Orchestra Students. Report time for all is 6:30 PM to the Orchestra Room. Students will be required to sit in the auditorium to watch the performance. Performance attire is Tux and Gown.
The Honors Orchestra Audition music has been distributed to all String Ensemble students and 8th graders, it was also sent out in an email on Skyward. It has been brought to my attention that the Bach Minuet (cello excerpt) has a note cut-off on the last line, the note is a “D” on the C string. Students should be listening to their excerpts to better prepare for auditions. All auditions are due to me no later than May 7th at 2:15 PM. NO LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. I have offered to help all students who ask, whether before or after class or after school. Please give me a day notice for staying after so that I can check my elementary schedule as well.
Many students ask for service opportunities and the 4th grade string players would love the help! All of the elementary concerts are listed below, if you child would like to help tune and warm-up with the 4th graders before their concert, they will receive service hour credit. This is not mandatory, but extremely helpful for me and the students during elementary spring concerts. Please let Mrs. Martz know if you are interested – report at 6:15PM to the elementary school, concerts begin at 6:30 PM should end by 7:20 PM.
May 16th – Broooks
May 17th – Allard
May 21st – Bon Meade
May 22nd – McCormick
May 24th – Hyde
Graduation (Seniors, it is almost here!) is on June 8th, 2018. All orchestra students are required to perform at graduation. Some students have mentioned to me going out of town for conferences, music camps and mission work. Please make sure that you are EMAILING me if there is a conflict for graduation. The students that have contacted me are already excused (X) in the grade book. All students are responsible for learning graduation music (including seniors) even if you will not be in attendance.
Printed copies of clearances can be either dropped in the band room box or mailed to:
c/o Laura Wall
Suite 12, PMB 174
5990 University Boulevard
Moon Township, PA 15108
Per the updated MASD policy, Clearances are valid for 5 years
Under PA Law Act 153, The State of Pennsylvania is requiring all adults who volunteer in any capacity within the school to obtain background checks. This will include parents who volunteer to chaperone the MAHS Marching Band at football games, parades, band camps, and trips. Chaperones are required to complete the PA State Police Criminal Background Check, Child Abuse History, and FBI Fingerprints. The FBI Fingerprint is only if the volunteer has not been a state of PA resident for at least 10 years. Please visit http://www.keepkidssafe.pa.gov for additional information.
OR follow the steps below:
All necessary instructions and links to apply for these certifications can be found HERE
Child Abuse Clearance click HERE
1. Cost: Free
2. Create the account
3. Submit the required information
4. Print certificate and submit to MABPO Secretary
PA Criminal Background Check click HERE
1. Cost: Free
2. Click on "NEW RECORD CHECK" (Volunteers Only)
3. After the record check is complete, click on the blue control number
4. To view the certificate, click on the blue words "Certification Form"
5. Print the certificate and submit to the MABPO Secretary
FBI Fingerprinting click HERE
1. Cost: $27.50
2. Required for volunteers who have lived outside of PA in the last 10 years
3. Register on website
4. Take form to UPS Store or other Cogent Fingerprinting location
5. Receive clearance and contact MABPO Secretary to arrange for original to be copied.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.