Moon Area Band Parent Organization Meeting
October 15, 2015
Submitted by Laura A Wall, Secretary, MABPO
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
The minutes from the September 2015 meeting have been posted. Motion to accept the minutes was made by Cindy Stathers and seconded by Yvonne Dodrill.
Treasurer’s Report, Joe DeNardo
The Treasurer’s Report was submitted by Joe DeNardo. Motion to accept the Treasurer’s report was made by Grace Cap and seconded by Julie Heller.
President’s Comments, Sherri VonStein
Thank you to the Executive Board, Committee Heads, Chaperones and the Alumni Group. Mr. Balaski along with Mr. Johnson was complimentary of the band at the PTO meeting. Thank you also to our corporate partners.
- If hosting PIMBA is something that we want to continue to do, we need more volunteers. Programs need people to get ads, to work with layout, to proofread, and to make sure that payments go out.
- Think about where you want to be and where you want to participate. Encourage other parents to get involved.
- A special thank you to the newly formed Alumni group who helped to feed our band the day of our competition.
Moon Area Band Alumni Association
They are an accessory to the MABPO. We will be opening an account at Clearview under the umbrella of the MABPO. Cindy Bartus and Linda Rossi are officers in the new group. They would like to have a dinner kick-off. In conjunction with wreaths they would like to have a craft and sip party. For February, they are planning a wine tasting party. Also, they are considering participation in the “Shop with Scrips” program and the “Amazon Smile” program. A Facebook page is coming soon. Later they will be selling shirts and bandanas.
Senior Recognition Night (Oct 30)
Please take a look at the Sign-Up Genius for slots to volunteer or food items to bring for the event. Senior Parents are not working that night so help is needed from underclass parents. Good job to the Class of 2016 parents for returning the RSVPs on time.
The new split of 85/15 will occur across the board for all fundraising activities. On the website you can find a list of things that are paid for in whole or in part by the General Fund.
Monday, Oct 19 – All orchestra students will have pictures taken. Yard notes will be presented to the Senior Orchestra students.
Moon Parks & Rec Halloween Parade and event, Moon Park, Oct 21 – voluntary for students
Chaperones are needed for Championships at Gateway. We need help. If you have clearances please consider volunteering to chaperone.
Trunk or Treat – Oct 27TH
Start outside of the Cafeteria/Administration. Decorate your car and join us for a great time. For planning purposes, we have 131 students in the high school band and we have also invited the 120 8th graders.
The first deposit for Disney is due 10/28. Please be sure that the money is in your account. The band needs to be able to withdraw the money so that we can pay our bills.
Rehearsals are underway for the upcoming productions.
Pancake Breakfast & Cookie Walk
This major fundraising event is scheduled for December 13.
We will need volunteers for the Nominations Committee, Scholarship Committee, Memory Book Committee. Mrs. Von Stein will be putting together a timeline of events through the year so that parents can see what happens.
Calendar of Events
Please see calendar on website for a complete and current listing of important events.
Concessions, Jen Daugherty
There will be an end of the year liquidation sale. Please see Jen Daugherty.
Secretary, Laura Wall
Nothing to report.
Treasurer, Joe DeNardo Please see report from earlier in agenda. Specific inquiries regarding your child’s account should
be directed to Treasurer@moonband.org.
Communications, Nancy Kerr
If you are not getting the Monday emails please let us know. Nancy is going to look into a parent bus for Gateway Championships. Anyone can ride the bus. The cost previously was $5-$7. Feel free to bring food and snacks on the bus. The bus will leave for the competition at the same time as the band and will return immediately after awards.
Fundraising, Vikki Tuk/Cindy Diehl
The 2nd hoagie sale pick-up was yesterday. Forty students participated in that sale. Chestnut Hill Candle sale pick-up for candles was today. Forty-one students participated in the candle sale. Currently we are selling Newme’s Pies with orders due on Mon, Oct 19th. Delivery of the pies is scheduled for Wed, Nov 18th from 5pm-6pm at the Student Entrance. Suburban Landscape wreath and garland sale starts today. Order forms are on the website. Upcoming we have the Black Friday gift card basket raffle. Each student is asked to sell 5 tickets. The drawing is based on the evening lottery number. We have also scheduled to sell Dunkin Donuts Moon cups for Student Account profit.
Publicity, Grace Cap
Nothing to report.
VP Corporate Partnership, Jared Tuk
Nothing new to report.
Band Director’s Comments, Mr. Nick Barthen
- Thanks for our Moon PIMBA. Lots of compliments were received from the judges and visiting directors.
- BOA – Thanks to people who helped. The band did an excellent job placing 5th in the AA Class and 16th overall.
- This week we have the competition at Penn-Trafford. We will be traveling via the Turnpike and come back Rt 65 through Pittsburgh. Our performance time is 8:15pm. Saturday parents are invited to watch practice.
- The show is complete. We will be adding a couple of things before the end of the season. We are right on schedule. The performance times for Championships will be announced on Sunday, Oct 18.
- Trunk or Treat – 10/27 - We will be holding this event with the 8th graders invited this year.
- No practice on Thursday, 10/29 – Enjoy Trick or Treat this year.
- Senior Rec – 10/30
- Winter Concert – 12/17 – 2 rehearsals will be scheduled.
- Winterguard – starts in December
- Jazz Band – auditions coming up before November
- Florida – Room & bus fees are non-refundable. The trip is all-inclusive with the exception of in transit meals.
Strings Director Comments, Ms. Megan Taylor
Next meeting is scheduled for November 19, 2015 @ 7PM. Meeting is preceded by a closed Executive Board meeting @ 6PM.
With no further comments or questions, a motion to adjourn was made by Cindy Diehl and seconded by Nancy Kerr.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.