Moon Area Band Parent Organization Meeting
August 16, 2018
Submitted by Shea Corsetti, Secretary MABPO
The meeting was called to order at 7:10pm. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
The minutes from the July 2018 meeting have been posted. Motion to accept the minutes was made by Mrs. Collier and seconded by Mrs. Kemp.
Treasurer’s Report, Vicki Hricz
No Treasurer’s Report given, Vicki Hricz is on vacation.
Band Director’s Comments, Mr. Nick Barthen
- We have two weeks until school starts. Both band camps were successful and we are where we need to be with the opener. There is a lot more work to be done, we are not there yet and will continue to work hard.
- The marching band will have a mandatory rehearsal with Austin Greene our Show Designer on Saturday, August 18th from 8am to 4pm. Lunch will be provided. Families may come watch the run through at 3:45pm.
- Friday, August 24th is the first football game against Montour. Report time is 5:30pm.
- Starting Monday August 27th practices are from 6pm to 9pm (no longer 5pm).
- Tux and gown fitting for symphonic band is August 23rd.
- Compression shirts and gloves are in, see Mrs. Wolf.
- Our first show is an exhibition show at Kiski on September 8th. We will go on 2nd at Kiski High School and the plan is to head home after they perform so it is not a long day for the students.
- October 6th is PIMBA at Norwin.
- October 13th we will perform at the Bands of America Competition in Canton, OH. Our first performance block will be between 3:00 and 4:00pm for prelims. We will be defending our title and there will be 21 bands there. The students will receive lunch and dinner.
- October 20th PIMBA at Deer Lakes
- October 27th PIMBA Championships at Moon. We will be hosting 17 bands and will be looking for many volunteers to help make this event a success. There will be 17 bands and Slippery Rock will be our exhibition band.
- October 26th is our last football game vs West A.
- Memorizations test will be starting after the new school year begins. They will be held in small groups after school. The students have been well informed and should be practicing now.
- All communications will be posted on Skyward, the website and the Remind app will be utilized as well. Please remember to check these as a means of keeping updated.
- Please DO NOT share or post any video of rehearsals or performances of our bands competition production on any form of social media. It is for the protection of our students and all of the hard work they are putting in to make this a fantastic show.
- August 22nd is the performance for the MASD faculty/staff, 8:15am to 9:00am. Wear red shirts, whatever bottoms and tennis shoes.
- Band students received a red flyer for the 50% off football season passes. Follow the directions on the flyer to purchase your passes.
- PMEA Honors Band auditions is October 1st at South Fayette. Be sure to have the correct music if auditioning! The Festival is in November. Please see pmea.net or ask Mr. Barthen if you have questions.
President’s Comments, Andrea Ward
- Thank you to everyone who volunteered in any way with band camp! It was another successful year and we could not have done it without our volunteers.
- All the spots on the sign up genius for snacks have been filled. You parents are amazing and we thank you.
- Chaperoning- An email will go our shortly to confirm dates of those who have signed up to chaperone. There is a physical aspect to chaperoning and that is pushing pit equipment. If you are unable to do that please let Andrea know ahead of time so that she can put you in an appropriate position. If you have signed up for multiple dates and do not see yourself assigned to every one, please know that we are using you where we need you most and trying to get all those that wish to chaperone the opportunity to do so.
- We are in need of truck drivers. Please see Andrea Ward or Mr. Barthen if you are willing and able to drive a truck with a trailer. This is how we get our entire bands equipment to the competitions and we need it all in order to perform, so please don’t be shy, come join us!
- If you have not turned all of your forms in, communications (tan), membership (tan), and volunteer (blue) please do so. If you have any questions about any of the volunteer positions please ask.
- Senior poll notes are coming and we will need people top hang them. Please contact Andrea Ward if you are able to help. The cost of the pole notes is $18 and the seniors will get to keep them once paid.
- Job Shadow Opportunity- Tom Pelkington will be setting a date for painting senior yard notes, look for a sign up to come out soon. On another note, Tom will not be here next year as his son is a senior this year. We are looking for someone to shadow him on this job to take over next year.
- Senior Recognition Night Co-Chair Opportunity- October 26th is Senior Recognition Night, no senior parents will be working concessions or chaperoning that night. We need all underclass parents to please help in some way. During this evening we will host a dinner for all of our seniors and their parents. Wendy Bloom is looking for a co-chair to help head up this special night. You will be working with Wendy and a team of volunteers, you will not be alone so if you like throwing parties, then this is for you. Help is also needed with setting up, serving, clean up, check in, picking up supplies etc. Please get in touch with Wendy Bloom if you are able to help.
- Raffle Basket Chair Opportunity- Andrea Ward, our previous queen of the raffle baskets is now president of our organization and needs a replacement volunteer to head the raffle basket donation solicitations and beautification for our events. You do not have to do this alone. If you and a friend want to work together that would be great fun. Please see Andrea for details.
- Sponsorships for PIMBA- If you would like to place an ad or know of a company that would be willing to place an ad or become a corporate sponsor please contact our VP of Corporate Partnership, Mike Connors.
VP Corporate Partnership, Mike Connors
Not in attendance
Treasurer Report, Vicki Hricz
Publicity, Georganna Palmer
- Lottery Ticket sales are ongoing. Everything is due August 30th.
- Hoagie Sales begins August 28th through September 18th. Order forms are linked in the newsletter and on the website. If you are unable to print them from home or your office there will be some available in the band room in the fundraising folder on the wall.
- There was a list of fundraisers and corresponding dates in the lotto ticket envelope you received back in July. This list is for your reference so you know what we will be offering and when. There are only two mandatory fundraisers, the lottery tickets and the spring fling raffle backset; all other fundraisers are optional but are offered to help you raise funds for your student(s) account to go towards their expenses.
- If you have any questions regarding fundraising please contact Georganna Palmer
Secretary, Shea Corsetti
Nothing to report.
Band Stand, Karen Wood
Looking for a few more concession volunteers to work Friday, August 24th. Look for the sign up genius in the newsletter.
Communications, Sarah Schmitz
Our website was down for a few days but is OK now.
Colorguard has a carwash at Clearview FCU August 25th 9am-1:30pm. Please come support our Guard.
Publicity, Grace Cap
Nothing to report.
Next meeting is scheduled for September 20, 2018 @ 7:00pm. Meeting is preceded by a closed Executive Board meeting @ 6:00pm.
With no further comments or questions, a motion to adjourn was made by Ms. Vanden Bosche and seconded by Mrs. Ruppel. The meeting was adjourned at 8:03pm.