Moon Area Band Parent Organization Meeting
November 17, 2016
Submitted by Laura A Wall, Secretary, MABPO
The meeting was called to order at 7:07 PM. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
The minutes from the October 20, 2016 meeting have been posted. Motion to accept the minutes was made by Mrs. Stathers and seconded by Mrs. Cross.
Treasurer’s Report, Joe DeNardo
The Treasurer’s Report was submitted by Joe DeNardo. Motion to accept the Treasurer’s report was made by Mrs. Collier and seconded by Mrs. VandenBosche.
President’s Comments, Sherri Von Stein
Thank You – Thanks to all of the families who participated in Trunk or Treat. It was a great break for the students before heading into Championships.
Thank You – Thanks to Mike Connors, Sarah Connors, and Patrick Kennedy for taking down the pole notes. Pole notes are available for pick up after the meeting.
Thank You – Thanks to Laura Wall for obtaining the glow sticks to have in the stands to show our support for the band during competitions.
Tour Shirts – Please see Mrs. Von Stein tonight to purchase a shirt.
Colorguard Fundraiser – Please see a member of the colorguard to order Origami Owl. This is a limited fundraiser for the colorguard only. We wanted to test it before doing a fundraiser with the full band and orchestra.
PIMBA Championships, Recap
Overall we had a successful Championship event. The weather was amazing and many compliments were received. Mrs. Von Stein specifically thanked each of the committee chairs. Thank you also to the families who donated tents for use during the event. We are still missing a couple of school signs used in the seating area for the bands, a sign from Warm Up Area A, and a red table cloth used for the awards table.
- PIMBA shirts – still available for purchase after the meeting or contact Sherri Von Stein
Alumni – Cindy Bartus - SCRIP – If you still need to order SCRIP gift cards for donation to the Black Friday Basket please do so immediately. A special order will be placed on Friday evening for delivery next week. The December SCRIP order deadline is Dec 9. Please order your holiday gift cards to help support the alumni organization. The alumni organization is planning its 2nd Annual Craft ‘n Sip on December 9 at the Bartus house. Please email to reserve a spot or RSVP to the Facebook event online. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Winter Concert – Dec 21 – We will need 6 volunteers to take donations (preferably 3 band/ 3 orchestra parents). Please see Sherri Von Stein.
Guard shoes needed – Please see Denise Wolf if you have a graduating guard member who would be willing to donate shoes. We currently do not have extra guard shoes to loan out. We have extra band shoes but not guard shoes.
Calendar of Events
Please see calendar on website for a complete and current listing of important events. If you have not done so already, please sync your calendar with the band/orchestra Google calendar.
Band Director’s Comments, Mr. Nick Barthen
- Thank you to all of the helpers at the PIMBA Championships.
- This was a historic year for the marching band at the BOA Regional and making a reputation for ourselves.
- Dec 21 – Instrumental Music concert @ 7pm, MAHS Auditorium
- PMEA Honors Band – Sun, Nov 20 – 3 students from MAHS made it
- PMEA District Jazz Band – 5 students from MAHS made it – being hosted by MAHS in December
- Jazz Band – auditions coming up soon – no one is cut – auditions are simply for placement into the appropriate band
- Winterguard – Nov 21 meeting @ 7pm, MAHS Band room
- Spring Musical – Pit orchestra will be starting soon
- Symphonic Band – We will be going to the state music educators conference to play in Erie in April. MAHS was 1 of 3 bands invited to play. Invited bands are chosen by audition.
- Pep Band – This will start in January if there is enough interest.
- Flute Choir/Brass Quintet – Practice will start soon.
- Next year’s dates for band camp, concerts, and other important dates will be released soon.
Strings Director Comments, Mrs. Megan Martz
Not in attendance.
VP of Concessions (Band Stand), Jen Daugherty
- Dec 9 & 10 – PMEA Jazz Festival – Moon is hosting this event. We will need 2-3 parents to manage providing the 2 snacks and lunch to the 55 students in attendance. Please contact Jenn Daugherty if you are available to help.
- Jan 26 – PMEA District Orchestra – We will offer a pizza/candy/water concession. We will need 3 orchestra parent volunteers from 3pm until approximately 6:30pm.
- Shari Ruppel will be heading up the Thursday night concession setup for next year’s home football games.
- We are in need of a parent of a Freshman or Sophomore student to co-chair the rest of the Band Stand responsibilities.
- Thank you to everyone for making it an enjoyable season.
Secretary, Laura Wall
Nothing to report.
Treasurer, Joe DeNardo
Please see report from earlier in agenda. Specific inquiries regarding your child’s account should be directed to Treasurer@moonband.org.
VP of Communications, Laurie Caraher
Not in attendance.
VP of Fundraising, Georganna Palmer
- Thank you to everyone who baked and provided baked goods for the PIMBA bake sale.
- Dec 12 is the online cutoff for online Sarris orders.
- Black Friday Basket raffle – We are in need of more gift cards: 2/$25 Dick’s gift cards and 2/$25 Burgatory gift cards.
- Newme’s pie delivery was last night. We have 2 extra apple/cranberry pies available for purchase.If interested, please see Georganna Palmer.
- Dec 18 – Pancake Breakfast/Cookie Walk – A Sign-Up Genius will be posted soon for volunteer sign-ups for adult workers and also for bakers. Students who sign-up to work can earn student account money. We will also have a basket raffle, 50/50, and visits with Santa.
VP of Publicity, Grace Cap
Pancake Breakfast/Cookie Walk flyer will be posted online. Please print and post everywhere. It will also be advertised in the next Allegheny West.
VP Corporate Partnership, Christianne & Andy Gribben
Not in attendance.
Next meeting is scheduled for Dec 15, 2016 @ 7PM. Closed Executive Board meeting @ 6PM to precede the Parent Meeting.